Calling coyotes is a challenge whether early morning always, late evening or in the center of the full night. Because of their acute senses of sight highly, hearing and smell there's really no easy time to call coyotes especially. Hunting this highly skilled predator is rarely easy and may be either extremely exciting or extremely frustrating.
Because coyotes are nocturnal hunters several coyote hunters would rather call and hunt at night if hunting laws allow night hunting.Although coyotes tend to be more active during the night, night hunting offers its unique best electronic coyote call.
There are some advantages to hunting at night:
- Coyotes are on the move in search of prey for their next meal. Because they're hungry and looking for food distress calls can be very effective.
- Coyotes feel more secure at night and may respond to your distress calling with less apprehension pretty quickly for an easy meal.
- Because coyotes normally move and hunt at night you aren't trying to get a coyote to do something that isn't natural for them.
- Although scent control is always a concern the wind could be less at night which can only help you cope with a coyote's sense of odor.
Now the disadvantages:
- There's always a safety issue at night if you are hunting near houses or structures and is especially a concern if you are hunting with partners.
- You can't see as considerably at night and identifying your target as a coyote could be difficult.
- Because you is going to be carrying extra gear like batteries along with some type of lighting making your movement a bit more difficult.
- If your light goes out or your batteries go dead your hunt is over.
- Because of your limited field of see you will have to call the coyotes in much closer because safe chance distances are significantly less compared to daytime hunting.
Even though coyotes are nighttime predators they are like a great many other predators in that they are also active in the early morning and late evening. More regularly, coyote movement and action is controlled by hunger and security and not by the right time of day or darkness. In case a coyote is hungry or feels the need to protect its hunting territory it will respond to either distress calling or coyote vocals at anytime of your day or night.
At dusk I believe most coyote hunters prefer hunting either in the early morning hours or. The coyotes will still respond if they're hungry or even to protect their hunting territories without the cover of darkness. I really believe the opportunity to see and shoot farther together with the safety factor make early morning or late evening the optimum time to call and hunt coyotes.